Herbal vaginal steaming is an ancient practice known to be deeply nourishing and supportive for women as a part of many rituals for connecting with the wisdom that resides in the womb, for cleansing, tonifying, and healing our sacred heart center.
Medicinal steam from the healing herbs warms the inner and outer organs, which helps increase circulation to both the vagina and womb. This increased blood can result in a number of things:
- It can help rejuvenate the reproductive system through fresh blood supply.
- It can bring vitality to the internal and external vaginal tissue (think about how great the skin on your face looks after a facial massage — that’s the increased blood flow, and the same thing happens with our vulvas)
- It can make for greater sensations during sex due to the increase in blood flow.
- It can carry the medicinal herbs even farther into the body, deep into the pelvic tissue, cervix, womb, and vagina.
- For new mamas, the increased circulation can help speed up tissue repair necessary after any damage done during labor. *Authors note here, in most Southern and Central American cultures, yoni-steams are done very soon after the birth for healing and toning. In American culture we seldom honor the world-wide ancient wisdom of keeping new mothers warm and moist, massaged with oils, bound with cloths, and her yoni steamed.